Tuesday, March 8, 2011

well behaved women rarely make history.

Guess what today is ladies!!!

International Women’s Day. And this year it is celebrating its 100th birthday. International Women’s Day (IWD) takes place on March 8, every year. It’s a time to celebrate the achievements of women world wide!
I had a professor at school talk about Ishango bone, which is believed to be the first calendar ever created. And for years it was assumed that it was made by a man, but she said “what man do you know charts every 28 days? Claudia Zaslavsky has suggested that this may indicate that the creator of the tool was a woman, tracking the lunar phase in relation to the menstrual cycle.
And that was a turning point in how I viewed the history of women because when you record the history books, you can choose what is “important” and in the past a lot of women’s achievements have not been recorded fairly or at all.
For instance it was women who were the first computer programmers shattering the myth that girls aren’t that great at math, and the best part is they weren’t credited and were called “models” in the photos taken of them working on it. To read the story go here: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=3951187&page=1
So as girls began to find their Hero’s we began to aim higher in our own lives. It’s these women who inspire us to see ourselves not as “helpers” but as pioneers. 
These are some of my Hero’s

Hatshepsut was the fifth pharaoh of the eighteenth dynasty of Ancient Egypt. She is generally regarded by Egyptologists as one of the most successful pharaohs, reigning longer than any other woman of an indigenous Egyptian dynasty. Her legacy survived despite attempts to remove all her monuments and scratch her name from history.
Frida Kahlo was married to a famous artist and her work stood alone as ground breaking and innovative. She survived an accident that impaled her and left her struggling with her health for the rest of her life, and yet she didn’t let it hold her back. She lived loved and painted with such veracity  and honesty. She was the subject of most of her work and she wasn’t afraid of her emotions or wearing her heart on her sleeve.
 Kathleen Hannah is the lead singer of the band Bikini killed and was the forefront of the riot girl movement.  By using her music and her words she started a grass roots movement that got girls all over to start considering the fact that they didn’t have to be groupies, the could pick up guitars and start their own bands. They could start movements in their own town of woman who would protect and encourage each other.  And she did this all in a time before the internet.
Courtney Love known more for her antics and mishaps then her fierce driving will and more people in the world hate Courtney love then like her and yet she gives them all the middle finger and keeps on trucking. You have to admire a women who isn’t afraid to ruin her name if it means being true to herself even with all of her failures.
Patti Smith- a poet and musician who is mostly known as the mother of Punk, her unique way of seeing the word and love for art and people inspired so many musicians  and artists and to this day if I am having a bad day I Google Patti Smith quotes for her wisdom and positive outlook.
Mary Ellen Mark- I don’t know if there is a woman I try to emulate more. It’s gotten to the point where Erin and I want to tattoo on our shutter fingers WWMEMD. Her Fierce drive and tenacity has pushed her to create some of the most interesting and heartbreaking work on the human condition. She went to Bombay India to photograph prostitutes, by herself. She befriended, stayed with and photographed these prostitutes and their lives out of the sheer desire to tell their story despite having an extremely difficult time getting someone to get behind her and publish the images.
My Mom- I have written about my mom before, her presence in my life has taught me so much about being strong willed and true to who you are.
Melissa Formenti was a woman who went to our church growing up, when I was in Junior high I thought she was so cool because she listened to Jewel and gave me her clothes that she didn’t wear. I always watched Missy fascinated with her adult life and I as I look back at those years of my life I see now why I respected her so much, She didn’t often complain about her appearance or body, she wasn’t afraid to speak up when she thought something different than the group, She had a good sense of humor, and she was interesting and multi-dimensional as a person. I learned these were good qualities to have by watching Missy.
Micki Cole taught me how to put eye liner on and was the first person I told when I kissed a boy. She made music videos with me and let me sleep over at her apartment, she did my hair fom prom and and helped me pick out all my dresses for all my dances. I dont have any siblings and Micki became like my older sister, and she showed me how to enjoy being your own brand of "girl".  She called off her engagement when I was in high school and I saw the pain and difficulty she endured because of that decision but how she trusted that she was strong and had made the right choice for her even if it was hard. I came back to Micki and those memories of her a lot this past year and I was so thankful that I saw her strength because it inspired me to be strong too.
Erin Wern Reardon, in high school I burned with jealous over Erin’s beauty. I think all of us girls in high school did which is why most of us treated her so poorly. There is an ani difranco lyric that I think totally fits: everyone harbors a secret hatred For the prettiest girl in the room And God help you if you are a phoenix And you dare to rise up from the ash A thousand eyes will smolder with jealousy
While you are just flying past
In recent years I got to become friends with Erin and I regretted that girlhood jealousy because she is legitimately one of the nicest, and most caring and encouraging people I have met.  She reached out to me when I was struggling and showed me the power of kind words and understanding. She has lived such a full and beautiful life and when she tells me to trust that God can work bad things for good, I trust her, because her life proves it.
So these are some of the women who have inspired me, and I have so many more. Heather, Erin, Shaundria, Andjela, my Grandma Loretta, my aunt Connie, Michele Giesin, any woman who takes risks, who trusts herself, who loves herself, who has integrity and character, any woman who uses her beauty, strenth and wisdom to help others and who isn’t afraid to be herself even when other people tell her she's wrong.

Happy International women’s day!
 Thank the strong women in your life and be a strong inspiring woman to others.
Who inspires you?

No comments:

Post a Comment