Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"All My friends are guys because there is less drama"

I am just going to call bull shit right now on this one.
I have probably said this more than anyone else I know growing up. My best friend was a boy, and I hated all girls for how much I felt hurt by them.
But now that I am older and I looked back and realized I felt forced into competition with my friends over boys, attention, beauty, and status. I say forced because I thought this is just how girls were, but in reality we have been socially constructed into competing with one another.
Don’t believe me? Look around. Next time you watch a movie ask yourself how many women are in it. And ask yourself if they get along with each and support one another other. 
 Men have just as many hang ups as women. Some men lie to you, some men will spread your secrets, some men will cheat, some men will hit on your friends, some men will stop talking to you over petty things, some men are bad listeners, some men give bad advice, and some men create “drama”.
The same can be said for some women. Yet, we write off more than half the population because society, media, our peers, all reinforce this idea that women, and only women, are emotional and unstable and out to get us. 
Stop believing the bullshit. Some people suck and some people don’t.
And the last time I checked the best way to make friends was to be a good friend.
I say revolutionary self love should include loving our gender and not hating on other women.
Lets all choose to see people based on their character and not their gender. And lets stop perpetuating all this girl hate.

1 comment:

  1. I've been saying this for years. There's something seriously wrong with a girl who simply cannot, or refuses to, get along with other females. I adore my female friends and quite frankly cannot have men as friends because they will inevitably try to become not-just-friends. It never fails. So, I'm the opposite of this. I prefer women. Drama and all...:)

    ReplyDelete