Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I know a woman who is strong...

I know this woman, and she is strong.
I am not talking about the emotional strong, not to say that emotional strength is not important as well, because it is.
But this woman,
She is physically strong.
She can lift things I can’t.
I asked her how she got to be so strong and she said by doing things.
I liked that.
She didn’t toil away at a gym for a better body; she got strong by living her life and doing things that required strength, and she trusted that she could do them.
This was a foreign concept to me in a lot of ways. When I imagine my body my last priority is its strength, because more often than not, I didn’t really think I needed it.
I thought back to my life and how whenever I carry something heavy usually someone offers to carry it for me.
And I let them.
How much stronger would I be if I carried my own lighting equipment and not my dad, or guy friends?
Not that you shouldn’t ask for help, or that people shouldn’t offer to help.
I am not really trying to have a philosophical debate on gender roles, or chivalry.
I just wish I could lift my light set with arms that are strong from the life I have lived.
That’s what I would like for me.
I am making it a point to carry heavy things; to not look for the easy way out because its there, but to pick up my cross in a certain sense
so that I can know
and grow
and show
the strength that I possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment