Wednesday, February 9, 2011

stepping out into the cold...

I shrunk deeper into my coat. The one that looks  like a sleeping bag snuggie and I realized no matter how many layers I put on this morning anticipating it, I couldn't have prepared myself for this kind of cold.
my fingers hurt. I couldn't shut them tightly enough around my tea cup and tea spilled out as I recklessly ran to get closer to the car. I still had 2 blocks to go.
My breath was hot and when I inhaled I could practically feel the frost build up in my lungs. I hunkered down. I pushed my head forward hoping my fur hat would cut through the wind before it had a chance to reach my face. I wimpered and wondered how people could possibley live in Alaska. 
and finally I made it to the car where Shaundria was waiting and had already began to warm it up.
sometimes I have days like this. When I want to stop on the sidewalk right where I am and burrow into myself to stay hidden so that the cold doesn't hurt.
but even on days my tongue feels frozen in my mouth or my heart frozen to my ribs I can find warmth in the beauty of living, in the kindness of friends, in the endurance of hope.
and I can clasp my hands tighter and know that no matter how frozen  the world may seem right now at this moment, there is a friend waiting with some warmth to spare and a Cee Lo Green song to dance to foolishly on the car ride home.  


Thank God for those friends.


Let's all be one of those friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment